Recipe: Easy Baked Sour Cream Chicken
This tasted basically just like sour cream chicken enchiladas, minus the tortilla! The only two things that I’m going to do differently next time is use less mayo and add green chilis.
– 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into thirds lengthwise
– salt & pepper to taste (to season chicken)
– 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (use low-fat cheese for South Beach Diet)
– 1 can cream of chicken soup (Campbells, not low fat or low sodium, or make your own chicken soup replacement)
– 1 cup light sour cream
– 1/2 cup light mayo (not fat free)
– 1 T onion powder
– 1 T poultry seasoning
– 1 T fresh lemon juice
– 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheddar cheese (use low-fat cheese for South Beach Diet)
1. Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Trim all visible fat and unwanted parts from chicken breasts, then cut each piece in thirds diagonally.
2. Spray 9 x 12 inch glass or crockery casserole dish with nonstick spray and arrange chicken pieces in a single layer. Season chicken with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
3. Combine the cream of chicken soup, light sour cream, light mayo, onion powder, poultry seasoning, lemon juice, and 1 cup of grated low fat cheese to make the sauce. Spread sauce mixture over the chicken, cover the pan with foil or a tight-fitting lid, and bake 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, use a fork to separate the chicken pieces so the sauce runs down between the, cover again, and bake for about 20 minutes more.
4. Then remove the foil, top with 1/2 cup reserved cheese and bake 15-20 minutes more, until cheese is melted and top is slightly browned. (You can use the broiler if you want to speed it up a little, but watch it carefully!)
5. We ate this with brown rice and asparagus, which was a good combination for the rich chicken and sauce.