This weekend, my Mom, Sister and her fiancé came into town for Labor Day weekend! We hung out poolside on Saturday and had a delicious dinner!!! Below are all of the noms: Hatch chili sausages, potato salad, bean salad, mac and cheese and queso!
– 2 pounds russet potatoes (3 to 4 medium), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
– Table salt
– 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
– 1 medium rib of celery, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
– 2 tablespoons minced red onion
– 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
– 1/2 cup mayonnaise (see note)
– 3/4 teaspoon mustard powder
– 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
– 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
– 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
– 2 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes (optional)
1. Place potatoes in large saucepan and add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to boil over medium-high heat; add 1 tablespoon salt, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring once or twice, until potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes.
2. Drain potatoes and transfer to large bowl. Add vinegar and, using rubber spatula, toss gently to combine. Let stand until potatoes are just warm, about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together celery, onion, pickle relish, mayonnaise, mustard powder, celery seed, parsley, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using rubber spatula, gently fold dressing and eggs, if using, into potatoes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour; serve. (Potato salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day.)
– 6 Tbsp chopped red onion
– 4 Tbsp red wine vinegar
– 4 oz thin green beans, trimmed
– 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
– 2 Tbsp honey
– 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 2 c shelled cooked edamame (about 10 oz), thawed if frozen
– 1 can (15 oz) dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1. Combine onion with 3 Tbsp of the vinegar in small bowl and let stand 15 minutes to pickle. Cook green beans in boiling salted water until tender, 3 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, and cut into thirds.
2. Whisk together mustard, honey, oil, and remaining 1 Tbsp vinegar in large bowl. Stir in pickled onion mixture.
3. Add cooked green beans, edamame, kidney beans, and chickpeas. Toss together until well combined. Season to taste. (Makes 6 cups.)