Recipe: Summer Squash Gratin
It was good but I felt like it was lacking flavor… maybe it was because I didn’t use the fresh thyme that it called for?!
– 1 lb zucchini, sliced into ¼”-thick rounds
– 1 lb yellow squash, sliced into ¼”-thick rounds
– 4 oz goat cheese
– 6 tsp olive oil, divided
– 1 shallot, diced
– 1 tsp fresh thyme
– 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
– 1¾ c 2% milk, warmed
– ½ tsp each kosher salt
– ½ tsp ground black pepper
– ½ c bread crumbs
– 2 tsp olive oil
1. HEAT oven to 375°F. Lightly coat large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat.
2. IN BATCHES, cook zucchini and squash in single layer until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes per batch, turning halfway through and coating skillet with spray as needed.
3. LAYER zucchini and squash with goat cheese in 8″ × 8″ baking dish (about 3 layers) and set aside.
4. ADD 4 tsp olive oil to skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add shallot and thyme and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add flour and cook until it develops a nutty aroma, about 1 minute. Whisk in milk and cook until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over zucchini and squash.
5. TOSS bread crumbs with remaining olive oil in small bowl and sprinkle over zucchini and squash. Bake until vegetables are tender and cheese is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes.