Sweet Potato Crackers – These are really good! They taste like a mix between cheez-its and pretzels! I chilled and rolled the dough the same way you would when making cut-out cookies, and instead of using cookie cut outs, I used a pizza slicer. Be warned that after you take the chilled dough out of the freezer, you have about a minute to slice the sweet potato dough and transfer to the cookie sheet before it gets too sticky to touch. Also, I have different baking times than what is listed in the instructions. Here’s what worked for me (but ultimately just bake until they’re golden and don’t taste doughy): Bake 25 minutes, Flip each cracker, Bake another 10-15 minutes on other side.
Sweet Potato & Egg Hash – This is a nice change from the typical dessert-like sweet potato casserole and the breakfast hash brown casserole that you normally see. In addition to the ingredients, I added onions and jalapenos, and I did not regret my decision. This is delicious!
Sweet Potato Crackers:
– 1-1/2 cups flour
– 2-1/2 tablespoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 3 tablespoons butter
– 1 medium sweet potato
– 1/4 cup milk
– Coarse salt
– Sesame seeds
– Cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together into a large bowl.
3. Add butter and by hand work it into the flour mixture until it becomes a coarse mealy texture.
4. Cook sweet potato in boiling water until softened. Cool, remove skin and purée with milk to make a smooth mixture.
5. Beat 1 cup of the sweet potato purée into flour and then turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
6. Knead well about 80 turns. Divide dough into 4 pieces and roll each very thin. Cut into rounds or squares; sprinkle with salt,
sesame seeds and a little cayenne, if desired.
7. Bake in oven on an ungreased cookie sheet for 10 minutes until bottoms are slightly browned. Turn over and bake 3-4 minutes more. Cool on rack before storing in a airtight container.
– 1 large sweet potato, diced
– 2 whole eggs
– 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
– 1 red bell pepper, diced
– 2 scallions, chopped
– 1 garlic clove, diced
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Dice and chop the sweet potato, scallions, red pepper, and garlic.
2. Melt coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
3. Add the sweet potatoes, since they will take the longest to cook.
4. After 2-3 minutes, add the red pepper, salt, and pepper. Put a lid on the saucepan to help steam the potatoes.
5. Three minutes later, add the scallions and garlic. Toss so that all is evenly combined.
6. Crack two eggs over the mixture, put a lid on the pan, and cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until the egg is cooked to your liking.