Recipe: Tequila-Chipotle Shrimp
WARNING: This is very hot! I used three chipotles instead of one (because they looked so small in the can!), and toward the end of the meal, my mouth was on fire. I loved the spice at first, but next time I’ll either add pineapple juice to cut it a bit, or use the recommend one chipotle. We put the shrimp over Fiesta Quinoa.
– 2 tablespoons canola oil
– 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
– 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
– One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
– Salt and pepper
– 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
– 1/4 cup finely diced fresh pineapple
– 1 tablespoon tequila
– Chopped cilantro, for garnish
1. In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and chipotle and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until just starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
3. Season with salt and pepper, then nestle the shrimp in the sauce and cook, turning once, until just white throughout, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the pineapple and tequila, garnish with cilantro and serve right away.