Recipe: Paula Deen’s Chicken & Dumplings
In order to cut out some calories, I like to use tortillas in place of regular dough dumplings. Total calories for this recipe is around 2500, so that’s 315 per serving (eight servings total)!!
– 2 pounds of chicken, shredded
– 3 ribs celery, chopped
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 2 chicken bouillon cubes
– House Seasoning (salt, black pepper, garlic powder to taste)
– 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
– 10 tortillas
1. Place the chicken, celery, onion, bouillon, and House Seasoning in a large pot. Add 8 cups of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer the chicken until it’s cooked, about 40 minutes.
2. Remove the chicken from the pot and, shred when it’s cooled. Return the chicken meat to the pot. Keep warm over low heat.
3. Add the cream of mushroom soup to the pot with the chicken and simmer gently over medium-low heat. (Note: If the chicken stew is too thin it can be thickened before the tortillas are added. Simply mix together 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water then whisk this mixture into the stew.)
4. Cut the tortillas into 1-inch pieces and drop into the simmering soup. Repeat. Do not stir the chicken once the dumplings have been added. Gently move the pot in a circular motion so the dumplings become submerged and cook evenly. Cook until the dumplings float and are no longer doughy, 3 to 4 minutes.