I made this recipe basically to get rid of stuff in the fridge! I had a jar of pesto that was probably about to go bad… same with the tomatoes and the broccoli. So glad I tried it because it’s really good and my husband loves it! He called me the “Pasta Queen!”
– 2 cups whole wheat pasta, uncooked
– 1 cup pasta water
– 2 large garlic cloves, minced
– 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
– 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp pesto, divided (organic or all natural)
– 2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in halves
– 4 cups small broccoli florets
– 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
– 1/2 cup (2 oz) Parmesan cheese, shredded
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
– 1/8 tsp or more red pepper flakes
1. Cook pasta as per package instructions, reserve 1 cup of pasta water, drain and set aside.
2. While pasta is cooking, preheat large skillet on medium heat and add olive oil and garlic. Saute for 30 seconds, stirring frequently
3. Add 1 tbsp pesto, tomatoes and stir. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes and stir. Cook another 1 – 2 minutes.
4. Add 1 tbsp pesto and broccoli, stir and cook for 4 minutes, stirring once.
5. Remove skillet from heat and add remaining 1/4 cup pesto, sun dried tomatoes, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and pasta to the skillet. Stir gently and let flavors marinate for a few minutes. Do not cover because broccoli will become a mushy mess.
6. Add remaining cheese right before serving. Serve hot or cold!