Stuffed peppers are basically shell-less tacos… delish! I used turkey meat in these, but they would also be super filling if you went meatless and/or added some Spanish rice.
– 1/2 lb 99% lean ground turkey
– 3 red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise
– 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
– 3/4 cups frozen corn
– 1 jalepeño pepper, chopped (or) more to taste
– 3 tbsp chopped onion
– 1 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
– 1 tsp cumin
– kosher salt to taste
– shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
– sour cream (optional)
1. In a large skillet brown the turkey and season with salt.
2. When the turkey is browned, add onion, garlic, black beans, cilantro, jalepeño pepper and cumin. Mix well and simmer on low, covered for 20 minutes.
3. Remove lid, add corn and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until all the liquid reduces.
4. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut peppers in half lengthwise, removing seeds and stem.
5. Place peppers, cut side up in an oven-proof dish.
6. Fill each pepper with 1/2 cup turkey mixture. Cover tight with foil. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until the peppers become soft.
5. Remove foil, top each with 1 1/2 tbsp of cheese and bake uncovered until the cheese is melted.
6. Top with sour cream if desired.