Sloppy Joes are one of my favorite things. These were so tasty on whole wheat buns. Also, I tried it on a salad and it was delicious. You can’t go wrong. This recipe will sure to be a repeat in my house. *This was modified from the Fixate Cookbook.
Serves 4: 1 cup each
Container Count: 1 green, 1 red, 1 tsp. (If using bread add yellows)
– 1 tsp. olive oil
– 1 medium onion, finely chopped
– 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
– 2 tbsp. minced garlic
– 1 lb. ground turkey
– 1/2 tsp. sea salt
– 1/4 tsp. black pepper
– 1 cup of no salt/ no sugar tomato sauce
– 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
– 1 1/2 tsp. Texas Pete hot sauce
– 1 tbsp. BBQ sauce
– 1 tbsp. raw honey
– parsley for garnish
1. Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat.
2. Add onion and bell pepper for about 4-5 minutes.
3. Add garlic to onion and bell pepper continue to stir for 1 minute.
4. Remove the onion, bell pepper, and garlic mixture to a bowl. Set aside.
5. Using the same skillet brown the turkey until no longer pink on medium heat.
6. Season turkey meat.
7. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic mixture to the meat. Also add the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Texas Pete hot sauce, and syrup. Mix well. Reduce heat to medium- low.
8. Stir occasionally for 15-20 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
9. Garnish with parsley before serving.