Today is National Pasta Day!
I’ve been wanting to try pumpkin pasta for a while now because I was so curious how it would taste! I had an open can of puree that I needed to use up and decided to go for it. It was actually really really good!! The pumpkin flavor wasn’t as strong as I thought it was going to be (I didn’t taste it at all), and it turned out being smooth and creamy. Also, adding pumpkin to this dish was a good way to get another serving of
– 12 ounces pasta noodles (I used shells)
– 1 small onion, diced
– 3 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 cup pumpkin puree
– 4 cups chicken broth
– 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1/8 tsp pepper
– 1/8 tsp nutmeg
– 2 tbs butter
– 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
– parmesan cheese
– parsley for garnish
1. In a medium-sized pot, add noodles, onion, garlic, chicken broth, pumpkin puree, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Mix together and put on the stove over medium/high heat.
2. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Uncover and stir, then simmer for another 2-4 minutes.
4. Add butter and cream cheese (cut into cubes before adding). Stir continuously until the cheese is melted.
5. Serve and top with parmesan cheese and parsley.