It’s National Peanut Butter day!
Yields 36 cookies
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
– 2/3 cup granulated sugar
– 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
– 1/4 cup butter, softened
– 2 large eggs
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– Cooking spray
– 7 tablespoons fruit preserves (I used strawberry!)
1. Combine flour and salt, stirring well with a whisk and set aside.
2. Place sugars, peanut butter, and butter in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until well combined.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Beat in vanilla.
5. Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, beating on low speed just until combined.
6. Place mixing bowl in freezer for 30 minutes to let harden.
7. Take dough out of freezer and shape into balls. Place on a lined baking sheet.
8. Press thumb into center of each dough ball, leaving an indention. (If the dough has gotten sticky, place in freezer again long enough to harden, then make indention.)
9. Bake at 350° for 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove cookies from pans, and cool on a wire rack. Note: If your thumbprints didn’t turn out well after baking, use a spoon or measuring spoon and make a new indention in the middle while the cookies are still warm.
10. Place preserves in a small microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for 20 seconds, stirring once. Spoon preserves into the center of each cookie.