Heather’s favorite Super Bowl snack – Pretzel bites
I first made these on New Years Eve and I plan on making them again on Super Bowl Sunday! The pretzels are good plain, but they’re even better with this IPA cheese dip! I used one of my favorite beers – Karbach Hopadillo.
Ingredients for pretzels
– 1 1/2 cups warm water
– 2 tbsp brown sugar
– 1 package active dry yeast
– 3 oz unsalted butter, melted
– 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
– 4 1/2 – 5 cups all-purpose flour
– vegetable oil
– 12 cups water
– 1/2 cup baking soda
– 1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tbsp cold water
– coarse sea salt
Directions for dough
1. Combine the 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Add the salt and flour and mix on low speed until combined.
3. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time.
4. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.
5. Oil a bowl with vegetable oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil.
6. Cover with a clean towel and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour. (My dough didn’t rise enough so I used this hack!)
Directions for bites
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Bring the 3 quarts of water to a boil in a pot over high heat and slowly add the baking soda. It will boil over if you add it too quick!
3. Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.
4. Roll each piece into a long rope about 22 inches. Cut the dough into one inch pieces to make the pretzel bites.
5. Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches. They will rise to the top when ready! (I did 12 bites at a time for about 30 seconds.)
6. Remove with a large slotted spoon and place pretzel bites on a sprayed baking sheet. Make sure they are not touching.
7. Brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with the salt.
8. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown. Remove to a baking dip.
Ingredients for cheese dip
– 1 package (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
– 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
– 1/2 cup IPA beer
– 2 teaspoon dijond mustard
– 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
– green onion (optional)
1. In a saucepan, heat ingredients over low heat, stirring frequently, until cheeses melt and mixture is smooth.
2. Garnish with red pepper and green onion.