It’s National Homemade Soup Day!
Soup is one of my favorite things to cook because it’s so easy and you end up with enough portions to last you the whole week! Homemade soup is also a lot healthier than canned because it has less sodium.
– 4 cups sweet potato, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
– 1 celery rib, chopped
– 1 onion, diced
– 1 jalapeño, diced (with or without seeds, depending on how spicy you want it)
– 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 3 cups stock (I used veggie!)
– 13.5 oz coconut milk
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1 tsp allspice
– 1/2 tsp dried thyme
– 1/2 tsp ground coriander
– 1/2 tsp curry powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/4 tsp ground ginger
– 1/4 tsp nutmeg
– 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional, for more spice)
– sour cream (optional)
– parmesan (optional)
1. In large pot, sauté onion and jalapeño over medium high heat for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the ginger, garlic and spices to the pot and cook for a minute, until fragrant.
3. Add the celery, sweet potato and stock and bring to a boil. (Add additional stock if veggies are not covered completely.)
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft.
5. Stir in coconut milk, then puree with an immersion blender.
6. Garnish with sour cream and parmesan and serve!