My husband and I made this recipe recently. We found it in the Cooking Light magazine. We adapted the recipe a bit. This dish was really flavorful and perfect to scoop with tortilla chips.
– 1 12oz. flank steak
– 3/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
– 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
– 2 tsp. olive oil
– 3/4 cup chopped white onion
– 1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock
– 1 15oz. can charo beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 ripe avocado
– 1 1/2oz. queso fresco, crumbed (1/3 cup)
– 4 lime wedges
– tortilla chips (optional)
1. Heat a large skillet over medium- high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.
2. Sprinkle steak with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add steak to pan. Cook steak about 5 minutes on each side.
3. Place steak on cutting board. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut across the grain into slices. Cut slices into 3/4 -inch pieces.
4. Make beans and rice according to package.
5. When plated top with avocado, queso fresco,and sprinkle with lime wedge.
6. Serve with tortilla chips. (optional)
*Also, Carne Asada is great on top of a bed of lettuce and tomatoes.