Here’s what we did this month!
What we ate – Cucumber Dill Greek Yogurt Dip, Avocado Toast, Spicy Sweet Potato Soup, Honey Garlic Shrimp w/ Hibachi Noodles, Pizza Casserole, Cranberry Apple Jello Salad, Sautéed Kale w/ Onions & Garlic, Dutch Oven Chili, Berry Salad & Carne Asada w/ Rice & Beans
What we drank – Mint Chocolate Stout at Karbach Brewery
My husband and I made this recipe recently. We found it in the Cooking Light magazine. We adapted the recipe a bit. This dish was really flavorful and perfect to scoop with tortilla chips.
– 1 12oz. flank steak
– 3/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
– 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
– 2 tsp. olive oil
– 3/4 cup chopped white onion
– 1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock
– 1 15oz. can charo beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 ripe avocado
– 1 1/2oz. queso fresco, crumbed (1/3 cup)
– 4 lime wedges
– tortilla chips (optional)
1. Heat a large skillet over medium- high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.
2. Sprinkle steak with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add steak to pan. Cook steak about 5 minutes on each side.
3. Place steak on cutting board. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut across the grain into slices. Cut slices into 3/4 -inch pieces.
4. Make beans and rice according to package.
5. When plated top with avocado, queso fresco,and sprinkle with lime wedge.
6. Serve with tortilla chips. (optional)
*Also, Carne Asada is great on top of a bed of lettuce and tomatoes.
It’s National Strawberry Day!
I love love love this day! Strawberries are my favorite fruit! Here is an easy salad that I have been obsessing over lately. I’ve been eating it almost everyday for 2 weeks and I still am not tired of it! Try it for yourself!
– Panera Bread Fuji Apple salad dressing
1. Wash all berries and lettuce.
2. Slice strawberries.
3. Add all ingredients to bowl.
Optional: Add other fruits to your salad.
Here are other recipes we have used with strawberries!
The week before Heather’s birthday our mom came down and we celebrated her birthday. We went downtown in search for a restaurant we haven’t ate at.
We found Myth Kafe in the Conservatory. They had several different gyros to choose from. The gryos were amazing. I had a little taste of Greece back.
After we indulged on gryos and feta we thought we better have some cake to top it off at Melange Creperie! We let Heather decide on the flavor of cake sine it was her birthday of course.
She wanted the Cookies n’ Cream cake. It was delicious. I could have had the whole thing myself but glad we split it. It was a huge slice!
We went to Discovery Green to walk off that food! It was a great day of celebrating for Heather’s birthday!