Instead of using shells, try this healthier version!
21 day fix approved: 1 1/2G, 1R, 1/2B
– 4 medium zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise
– 1/2 cup mild salsa
– 1 lb lean ground turkey
– 1/2 small onion, minced
– 2 tbsp bell pepper, minced
– 4 oz can tomato sauce
– 1/4 cup water
– 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
– 1/4 cup chopped scallions or cilantro, for topping
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tsp cumin
– 1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
– 1 tsp chili powder
– 1 tsp paprika
– 1/2 tsp oregano
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
2. Using a small spoon or melon baller, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves, leaving 1/4-inch thick shell on each half.
3. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside 3/4 of a cup to add to the taco filling, (squeeze excess water with a paper towel).
4. Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.
5. Brown turkey in a large skillet. When no longer pink, add taco seasoning spices and mix well.
6. Add the onion, bell pepper, reserved zucchini, tomato sauce and water. Stir and cover, simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
7. Place 1/4 cup of salsa in the bottom of a large baking dish.
8. Using a spoon, fill the hollowed zucchini boats dividing the taco meat equally.
9. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.
10. Top with green onions and serve with salsa on the side.